Tuesday 8 May 2007

My inheritance


A professional caricature drawn in 1946

What have I inherited from my forbears? That takes some thinking about. A formidable nose, for one thing; a tendency to worry unnecessarily, developing into full-blown hypochondria in late middle age; Ekbom's Syndrome (a.k.a. Restless Leg Syndrome), and heart disease. More positively, a capacity for organisation and attention to detail, which made me a pretty good secretary/PA.

And then on the practical front, there is the investment income which has enabled me to live comfortably and independently for the past 21 years. It was an unlooked for blessing, as most of it came to me through my mother from her aunt. Having lost her only child in the first World War, she had no-one to inherit from her, and so left everything to her three sisters, from one of whom, my grandmother, one portion has now come to me and my brother. I often feel sad that my comfort should have been at such a painful expense for my great aunt.

And of course, coming from a line of manufacturing jewellers, I inherited some beautiful pieces made by my mother’s father. The most important of these was a suite or ‘parure’ made for my grandmother and consisting of brooch, bracelet, pendant and earrings, with green garnets, amethysts and pearls, set in gold with white enamel work as well. It is in a Rennaissance style, too elaborate for wear in my time, though I did wear the pendant once or twice. Eventually, rather than leave it unappreciated in a drawer, I decided to part with it and was able to sell it to the City of Birmingham Museums, who were glad to add it to their collection relating to the Birmingham jewellery trade.

1 comment:

Travelin'Oma said...

I read your Elderstory, and enjoyed it, and linked to both of your blogs. This autobiography format is great. I'm glad I discovered it early so I can follow along.